Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Perks of Being A Wallflower


I can't believe this film is already coming out... For everyone else, maybe it has seemed like an eternity since the production of the movie was announced to the public (and when a source said Emma Watson would be playing Sam, I was unwaveringly convinced for WEEKS that the film was just a rumor), or since we were first anxiously anticipating the first trailer. But to me, it's been in the blink of an eye.
Apparently, the original release date for "The Perks of Being A Wallflower" in the United States was supposed to be the 14th, but I believe it was pushed back to the September 21st. However, the movie will be in limited release, regardless. Hopefully it's playing in a theater near you! One of my biggest pet peeves is when studios do not release films in certain countries, and then complain when fans of the world are driven to piracy. Everyone should get the opportunity to experience a film in the cinema... It's the best way to see a movie for the first time... But that's just wishful thinking, I suppose.

Last night was the Perks premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival.
Everyone looked stunning, as always. Photos from Just Jared.com.



Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Mae Whitman, Ezra Miller, Johnny Simmons, Nina Dobrev.


And the man himself, writer of the book and director of the film, Stephen Chbosky.

I'm trying not to let myself get excited for this movie... The cast is great, and the book was one of my favorites when I read it at the age of fourteen. It's definitely soothing on a fan's mind to know that the writer of the novel was directly involved with every aspect of the movie. I know it's in good hands. Yet, expectation is the root of all heartache. And so, I'm trying to keep mine very, very low. Perks could be a timeless teenage tale that we all relate to beyond measure and come to cherish whole-heartedly, but it could also very easily be a hurricane of hipster gimmicks and cliche moments. It all depends. I must admit, though, the many clips that Summit has already released for the film certainly sway my opinions in a positive direction.

For example, I am in love with the way Logan delivers a variation of the most iconic line of the novel: "I feel infinite." Very genuine. Ezra Miller's subtle way of asking inspires confidence in the film as well... That even Patrick, with the brashness that has been featured tirelessly by the sneak peaks, and even at the beginning of this very clip, is given his tender moments. He's human. He doesn't just live in a pool of his own cleverness.


Also unlike the trailer's version, Emma Watson's deliver of "Let's go be psychos together" in this clip is spot on. I know I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the way actors are saying the things they are saying, but really, the delivery of a classic line is the difference between cringe-worthy and moving. 


...And I may or may not have started crying when I first heard this audio clip...



For someone who is trying to keep her expectations low, I sure am talking this movie up, aren't I? The most important thing, I think, is to keep an open mind, and perhaps this is my way of doing so. My friend got to see the film a few months ago, as part of a survey, and said it was fantastic. Better than the trailer could even come close to portraying. Together, all of the evidence allows me the tiniest glimmer of hope. And so next weekend, or the one after that, or whenever, I am going to sit myself down at the cinema and watch The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Here's to hoping (:

Also, B-Rolls are the literal best, so have some... Spoilers, I suppose.



No comments:

Post a Comment