Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Reasons I'm Still Excited About 2012

     Despite the fact that the year already feels as though it is drawing to a close, there are still many movies that I am excited to see! Many films are being released just in time for Academy-consideration deadlines, and perhaps the awards season will even be interesting this year. Some won't be considered, some will, some wouldn't touch the Academy with a five-foot pole. I don't really care. The point is: you should still be excited for the year 2012, because it ain't over. Film-wise, we're coming up on spring's full bloom. I think, if I let myself get away with it, I will be spending a fair amount of money on cinema tickets before year's end. And considering I'll be in college among people I've never met, I'll probably be taking trips to the theater alone. Haha!



End of Watch. Starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michael Peña, Anna Kendrick.
In theaters: September 28, 2012.
I am actually... completely... beyond STOKED for this movie to come out. I have seen the trailer three times in the cinema, most recently when my mother and I went to see The Words. And the ending of the trailer about gave me a heart attack. The seconds of black screen after its ending allowed me to hear the unmistakable thumping in my chest, and process the adrenaline rushing to and from my brain. A few minutes of preview clips-- no,  basically just from 2:01 on-- left me with an intense emotional reaction... I wonder what two hours will do.



Silver Linings Playbook. Starring: Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence.
In theaters: November 21, 2012.
I AM SO EXCITED to see this film. Seriously. I wasn't too keen on it until I heard about the incredible feedback Jennifer Lawrence has been getting. I mean, mid-film applause? How can you not be amped to see a performance that sparks that kind of reaction?! I'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, as both a flawlessly real person, and as an actress. In addition, Silver Linings Playbook won the People's Choice Award at TIFF. And this clip, for whatever reason, intrigues me to no end and I just keep watching it over and over.



Django Unchained. Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo Dicaprio.
In theaters: December 25, 2012.
If you didn't know, my favorite movie is Inglourious Basterds. And I went through a mighty Tarantino phase during my junior year of high school. This is the first of his films to release since I dubbed myself a Quentin Tarantino fan, and I am pretty much over the moon about it. The cast is flawless, the story is hopefully going to be another pleasing story of vengeance, and I love the musical choices of the trailer... Starting with Johnny Cash, and then the second song has such a classic Tarantino feel to it... Merry Christmas to me. It's the first since Sally Menke's death, and I hope, somehow, this movie makes her proud.


 

Smashed. Starring: Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Aaron Paul.
In theaters: October 12, 2012.
I don't really know very much about this movie, and thus I'm not sure what to make of it. It may be very preachy and weird about life post-alcohol, post-partying, post-conventional 2012 "fun." Or maybe it will be a very honest look into what alcoholism is really like. Either way, the cast makes me too excited to not give this film a chance. The acting should be brilliant, no matter the subject. And I think I'm going to really enjoy the camerawork... I certainly like the way it moves in this trailer.



Deadfall. Starring: Eric Bana and Olivia Wilde.
In theaters: December 7, 2012.
I've always felt that Olivia Wilde has a lot of silver screen potential, but just has yet to land the right role. She was unbelievable as Thirteen in House M.D.! And so I'm really rooting for her, and for this movie. It may not turn out to be much, but the trailer promises some good performances and some high-adrenaline thrills. Can't say I'm going to spend the money on theater tickets, but I am stoked to see it eventually!



  The Hobbit. Starring: Martin Freeman (!!!!), Ian McKellen, Cate Blanchett.
In theaters: December 14, 2012.
My best friend and I are very big fans of the The Lord of the Rings trilogy. We were also, at one point, very much into Sherlock on BBC. So, when we heard that Martin Freeman was pretty much about to get the biggest break of his life, we were beside ourselves. It's a dream! And though I haven't read the book, I'm very interested in the story. The only fears I have about this film are the visual aspects; I find too much CGI in a movie to be very distracting. When the setting is very obviously surreal, it's difficult for me to focus on anything that is happening in the flesh. It's something to worry about, surely, but not enough to skip the midnight premiere!! Fingers crossed that both my best friend and I will be able to go... One of my final exams for the quarter is the next morning... 

 

Seven Psychopaths. Starring: Colin Farrell, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Christopher Walken.
In theaters: October 12, 2012.
To quote the top comment on YouTube, "This movie better be as amazing as it looks or I'll be so pissed."



Rise of the Guardians. Starring: Chris Pine, Alec Baldwin, Hugh Jackman.
In theaters: November 21, 2012.
Though I'm not 100% committed to putting forth the money for cinema tickets on this one, I'm a sucker for a multi-dimensional animated movie. Ones that aren't straight-out comedies, ones that seem to have backbone. The voice cast is very impressive, and Dreamworks is due for another one of their well-composed kids' films. Though I am still afraid of the main character, considering he looks like the ANIMATED INCARNATION OF KING JOFFREY (gif found here), I think it will at the very least be an amusing watch. We shall see!



On the Road. Starring: Kristen Stewart, Garrett Hedlund, Sam Riley.
In theaters: December 21, 2012 (Limited).
Somehow, this fall, I will find the time to read the book this film is based on: On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I think the concept behind it has such an "American Dream" quality to it. And I want that literary essence to fill me up before I let the film do the same. Despite its lower-than-hoped rating on IMDB, I am still allowing myself optimism when it comes to this movie. I am a big supporter of Kristen Stewart as a person, though I'm not always sure about her acting. Plus Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst, a fair bit of musical sequences, and a promising amount of true-to-the-book voiceovers? I'm in. Whenever you decide to wide-release, I'm here for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment