Thursday, February 28, 2013

On Being Burned Out by School

Here's a pep talk for you, love: 

     

     As you may or may not have noticed, I'm having some issues keeping up with this blog while school is in full swing and kicking my ass every day. Don't get me wrong, Winter Quarter has been beyond wonderful on a personal level; I've fallen in love, I've crossed some once very anxiety-inducing things off my 13 Goals for 2013, my sorority won Greek Week 2013, I've made some break-throughs about drinking and haven't had to rely on it as much, and I've moved in with my best friend (which has made a huge difference to my daily happiness, lemme tell you! haha). But due to the fact that I've added one more academic class, a leadership class, and am actually involved in Tri Delta this quarter because I am without mono, I am quite busy. Which is something I'm really not used to, so adjusting has been a tiring experience.

I've reached a point where, last weekend, my motivation to stay ahead and keep working to the best of my ability has waned significantly. Recently, I've just kind of said to myself, "You know what? Fuck it! I'm done." and procrastinated on my studies, without every feeling the relaxation that should come along with it. But when you have like 200 pages of reading to do every week, plus assignments to go along with it, plus attempting to give quality group presentations worth 15% of your overall grade, plus writing papers, plus running around trying to catch the bus and make as many sorority events as possible, plus trying to spend time with your hallmates who somehow seems to be on top of their lives, you get tired. And it's understandable to be tired. I love this school (and at times, I feel like I'm the only one :/) and I'm so happy... and so thankful that my little life has expanded into something this lovely! But I am beyond ready for Spring Break to come, so I may recharge and start over next Quarter with a new plan of attack. Three and a half weeks to go!

College is a learning experience. So here's what I've learned this quarter: 
  1. You have to figure out what schedule makes you most efficient, and personally, though I've never realized it before this year, I'm a morning person. Currently, my schedule involves all afternoon classes (and I usually still get up at 8AM and attempt to groggily do homework before class... so what's the point of me having afternoon classes, really?), and by the time I get back, it's dinnertime. Then, I've either got a sorority meeting to jet off to, or I want to just chill out. Most of the time, after 7 o'clock, my brain is done for the day haha. Next quarter, I am going to try and build my schedule so I can finish at 2pm, get as much work done before dinner as possible, and have the night hours to myself.
  2. It's really hard to keep your weight down when mealtimes are the only purely enjoyable part of your day. This sounds stupid, but because I am constantly doing work, food has become a real source of comfort for me, unfortunately. I've definitely gained weight and have been really inconsistent in getting my ass to the gym. Next quarter, when I get my life and schedule together, it will be easier, I hope!
  3. Keeping your focus in a dorm room is next to impossible. I hate the effort it takes to gather up all of my stuff, inevitably forgetting something of course, and going over to the Academic Center to get homework done, but it's really hard to focus when I'm in this comfortable little space. With my bed next to me, my best friend now sitting right across the room, and most of my really good friends within walking distance, it's hard to concentrate. Not to mention that my boyfriend and I now live on the same floor. The only time I can be really efficient is if all of my hallmates are gathered in one place, watching a movie I don't care too much about or off at commons eating at odd hours. It sucks, but sometimes you have to separate yourself from the things you love so you can get everything done.
It's not much; I'm sure there are plenty of other lessons I've picked up the last eight weeks, but I can't quite think of them right now. Being so completely and utterly done with this quarter, I got up at 9:30AM (and yesterday I got out of bed at 10:30... the desire to stay in bed has been especially intense this past week), took a long shower, painted my nails, and now I'm just listening to music and writing until class. Because I decided last night that I am not going to do any homework today. Not before class, not before my sorority formal tonight. Nope. None. Because I am burned out. But it's all going to be okay. Everyone goes through these phases. And if you're feeling the same, just remember to keep your head on straight, guys (:


Happy Living

No comments:

Post a Comment