Monday, February 4, 2013

Music of the Month - January 2013!

     This has been a great month in music for me. Primarily, it is due to the fact that I discovered The Weeknd, and because of Cathy's contributions to 8tracks (the rate at which she makes playlists is both alarming and incredibly rewarding). Through late-night excursions of YouTube, I have discovered many eargasm-inducing performances that I'd love to share.

First, here we have my favorite musical ditty of the month. I discovered it only two weeks ago, through my mini-obsession with The Weeknd, and nothing has satisfied my ears since. It is an incredible medley of the band's album, The Trilogy, sung by SoMo on YouTube. Plus the video is mesmerizing, so that's always nice.


And on that note, I've been super into The Weeknd the past couple of weeks. It started with the pure sex that is "Wicked Games," which you can choose to actually watch the music video or not; I didn't until very recently, and I think the song stands better on its own so... make of that what you will. After hearing that song, I found The Weeknd on Spotify, and it has been my background music for everything since. I even put some of The Trilogy on my phone to listen to, which is pretty unheard of me, if only out of sheer laziness. 


Secondly, let us all pause to take an in-depth look at Cathy's 8tracks. Though her music taste is obscure and beautiful, and therefore all of her playlists are gold, I would like to highlight some of my favorites. I adore her Game of Thrones playlist, You Win or You Die, as well as Daggers in Men's Smiles, Curiouser (an Alice in Wonderland playlist), and especially Easy on the Ears. But my favorite of all time has got to be Garden of Eden. Here I have it embedded for your listening pleasure:

 A large portion of my month was blessedly filled with the Django Unchained soundtrack. It's hard to pick out favorites, but I can say that my roommate and I had "Freedom" and Ancora Qui stuck in our heads for three days straight. I linked a lot of other lovely songs in my mini-review of Django. Also: fun fact, my phone died recently, so I'm now using my mom's old cellphone, which I have endearingly named Django.

I also surprised myself musically this month. The beginning consisted of a tonnnnnnn of Beyonce (and hey, coincidentally, she kicked absolute ass during the Superbowl today. Didn't watch the game, but had to look up her performance this evening. DAMN WOMAN!!), and an addiction to the song and music video for "Like a Boy" by Ciara. Cathy made me back peddle into the early 2000s and the 90s for a good two weeks. However, the last week or so, I've been really addicted to Bruno Mars' new album, Unorthodox Jukebox. Which came as a huge surprise to me... I never would have thought that my ears would enjoy Bruno Mars so much. There are so many gems on that album, particularly "Gorilla," "When I Was Your Man," and "Natalie."

And lastly, we have a collection of lovely YouTube performances


Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans (Live). 99% on this post because of the moment at 1:23. "No puh-le-ea-ase..."

Finally, I've got Paramore - Let the Flames Begin (Live, and apparently now with embedding disabled upon request... awkward) - 99.99% on this post, and in my likes on YouTube, for the epic outro. Particularly the little run of notes at 5:02 (when I am rrreeeaa-de-ey-ey), but the whole outro is divine.

That's it for now - Fingers crossed that February will bring great musical discoveries as well!!

Happy Listening

No comments:

Post a Comment