Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Breakers!!


     I really cannot empathize with the waves of people claiming that this is the worst movie they have ever seen, because honestly I LOVED SPRING BREAKERS. It's definitely not plot-driven, but it is an art film with breathtaking visuals, stunning use of color, and mesmerizing repetition. The main problem people had with it, I think, came from their expectations. People thought it was going to a mindless spring break movie, when really, it's much more thought-provoking and twisted than a two-hour ragefest. This may have been intentional - drawing in an audience wanting instant gratification and thoughtless fun, then pulling a bait and switch, similar to what the girls experience in the film. Ultimately, I think this film is about trying to figure out the balance between living in the moment/to the fullest/having fun in the present vs. staying in your comfort zone and looking out for your well-being in the long term (i.e. staying out of trouble, doing well in school, etc). I think it's about figuring out at what point you reach "enough." How much of this destructive fun can you take? At what point does destruction get too destructive? That balance is something I think about quite a lot, and it's something I've been struggling with recently, so I'm 10000000% in favor of this movie. So brilliant.

     Cathy and I saw this film together over my spring break, at 12:30 in the afternoon in a nearly-empty theater. The one other occupant left immediately when the credits began. And the end credits song was "Lights" by Ellie Goulding. So naturally, we ran around the whole theater and full-on danced until the guy came in to clean up the theater. Afterward, we filmed a review in my car, and I think it turned out really well (:


♥ Happy Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment