Monday, June 24, 2013

The Themizine: Vol. 1


     Being around Cathy makes me exponentially more creative. When she was staying at my house, I got this insane desire to express that creativity, but I'm definitely not talented in the drawing department. I'm not even skilled in dressing myself in an expressive way. So she came up with the brilliant idea of making a zine. Cathy's stepfather used to make tiny publications and hand them out at punk concerts, and so we took that idea and just put to paper what we're really into at the moment. 

     I created pages about Tatiana Maslany, this blog, and the song "To Build a Home" by The Cinematic Orchestra (which has struck a new, albeit painful, chord with me since moving out of my college dorm). Plus I created the really shit back cover with our names on it. Though I wrote on the front cover, Cathy drew an intelligent writer lady on it, plus she made beautiful pages about Game of Thrones, her current hair inspirations (featuring the lovely Ceedling), and feminism in the form of the Ovarian Gang and a Patti Smith speech, as featured in First Aid Kit's performance of her song, Dancing Barefoot.

Together, they all fold into a beautiful little paper zine: 


I also scanned the zine into my computer and cut out each panel on Microsoft Paint as to provide a more detailed look. It's a really great way to express your creativity if you're not particularly artistic. Just mix sharpie, computer print-outs, words, and designs together, and you're golden. Hopefully there will be many more of these to come in the future!





♥ Happy Reading

No comments:

Post a Comment